Friday, May 13, 2016

May 14 - A mixed bag

There are a bunch of great, one-off songs I've heard recently that I want to share, but I was feeling apprehensive because there were too many for me to keep up with now that I'm not doing the song of the day. So I just decided I'll do them all at once. Right now. So already lots of music and writing, so nothing about my life today.

First up: Nicola Cruz. I got really excited when I heard La Cosecha. It only took about 3 seconds for me to catch my interest, 38 seconds to know I wanted to hear more, and after 1:15 I was hooked. So then I listened to Prender el Alma (after multiple listens to La Cosecha, of course), which La Cosecha is off of, and the rest of the album doesn't come anywhere close to being as good as this song. But this song. This is a song.





Ok, next one is Aiya. These might be sisters (but I think not) from Melbourne, who have released two songs. See, this is the problem with the other songs I want to share. The groups/singers only have 1 or 2 songs and I know nothing about them, except that they make good and/or interesting music. If I Could Get falls into the interesting category. Pretty minimalistic and FKA Twigs-esque.




Third, we have IRAH. I'm not excited about it (I mean, I am, but I'm not so excited that I have to write all in caps), they chose the all caps. I found an actual article about these guys, so I know they are a Danish trio and that Into Dimensions is their first single which came out of an hour-long jam session in Berlin. The article called it epic. I would agree. It just slowly builds to this deeply layered, epic crescendo at the end which I love. Quite cinematic. I guess maybe think Zero 7.




And last for today (last because I am putting these songs in the order in which I found them) is New York 93 by Yaeji. This seems to be her only track on Spotify, but I read in an article that she's been producing music for years? I don't know where it is, but I know where this song is, and I like it. As you may have guessed from the name, she is from New York. She is an artist as well as a producer. And she made this song, I assume about New York in 1993. I'm not sure it's English, it sounds kind of like Japanese actually. But I also don't think it's Japanese. Actually, maybe Korean. Her real name is Kathy Lee. Lee can be Korean. And Korean sounds a lot like Japanese. So I'm gonna go with it's mostly in Korean. But really, I have no clue. It starts out super chill, and has a nice relaxed build to great groove.


No comments:

Post a Comment