Friday, December 15, 2017

Dec 15 - Top 10 Albums of 2017

After a few weeks of listening back to the albums that stuck out to me over the year, I've finally managed to come up with my Top 10. The top 3 I knew immediately. I was sure of it before, and after listening in context with each other and everything else, those 3 did not change. Interestingly, my 2 favorite albums on the year have not made any top 10 lists I've seen so far. They've barely even made top 50 lists I've seen. But they sure did stick out to me. Number 3, though, that one made all kinds of lists. But my top 2 are albums that really just caught me musically and emotionally and stuck with me the entire year as something shockingly beautiful and emotional.

I thought I would have a harder time picking because there really were so many amazing artists who put out albums this year. It was practically like every artist I love put out a new album. And yet, some of my absolute favorite artists (Bonobo, Alt-J, The National, St. Vincent, Bjork, Little Dragon...) did not even manage to make the top 10. But it was not hard for me to kick them out, because the albums in my Top 10 were just obvious to me. Except for number 10. That one was hard to pick. I basically had it down to 13 albums, and I had to pick one of four. And after much thought I picked the one you will see. I did not expect this one to make it into my Top 10, actually. But I do love the guy, and after listening to it a few more times, the beauty and originality of the album really starts to shine through the layer of grime that he wraps it all in, and which makes it a grower. 

I've picked my two favorite songs from each album and those will go into the blog (unless they're already there). But then I'v also made a playlist of these albums also, so just go listen to all of them. Anyway, I've talked enough about it, here they are.


10. Nick Hakim - Green Twins
Favorite songs: Cuffed, JP 



9. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
Favorite songs: other voices, how do you sleep?  




8. Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins
Favorite songs: Three Rings, Neighbors




7. Sylvan Esso - What Now?
Favorite songs: Kick Jump Twist, Radio 




6. The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
Favorite songs: Holding On, Pain




5. Feist - Pleasure
Favorite songs: Century, Any Party




4. Broken Social Scene - Hug Of Thunder
Favorite songs: Stay Happy, Gonna Get Better




3. SZA - CTRL
Favorite songs: Drew Barrymore, Anything




2. Dirty Projectors - Dirty Projectors
Favorite songs: Up In Hudson, Cool Your Heart




1. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Favorite songs: Third of May / ŌdaigiharaI Am All That I Need / Arroyo Seco / Thumbprint Scar




No comments:

Post a Comment