Monday, March 18, 2019

Mar 19 - girl in red / Dua Saleh

So I guess it's rainy season here in Sydney. It's been like nonstop every day for the last week. And over the weekend it was insanely strong. The heaviest rain I've seen here in Sydney. Then out in some of the suburbs, there was insane hail as well. A couple of my employees had damage to their cars and homes, because of hail the size of softballs. It is nuts. I once had huge hail in South Africa the size of my first, which broke through one of my windows and damaged a lot of cars (luckily not mine), but this is so much worse. Luckily the hail was only one day and it's just been rain since. But it really makes you not want to do anything.

Despite that, though, I have done some stuff. I went to a great art show this weekend. And I found a couple artists who I really like. There was this one Australian lady who paints very Miyazaki-esque scenes of various Japanese inspired spirits and animals, and I kind of love them. I didn't buy anything over the weekend, but I've been thinking about them every day, and I'm going to keep looking at them, and if I'm still thinking about it in a month or so, then I may just give in and buy one. They are quite expensive, but if I love it, might as well treat myself, right??? That's what I think.

Ok, anyway, enough with the rambling pointlessly, and on to the rambling with a point. And today's point is to introduce a couple of queer women making music. I should actually say one queer woman, and one non-binary person. This is the first time I'm actually writing/talking about non-binary people, so I may get something wrong. Let's see.

Anyway, I feel like I've posted quite a few queer, black, male artists. But there's a lot of the queer ladies out there as well. Generally speaking, I think there is a stereotypical queer women's music sound, which everyone just associates with acts like The Indigo Girls. And now, in modern times, it's the heavier version of that alternative folk rock, made by people like Courtney Barnett. So in that vein, I found a new artist I quite like called girl in red. And she is unabashedly unapologetic about her queerness, as evidenced by i wanna be your girlfriend.





So I just found out about her last week, but it seem she's been around for about a year now. And based on what I've read, she seems to be gaining traction due to her raw sound and raw lyrics, which very openly and honestly talk about her own life, and which resonates with a lot of her fans. But I just like her music. I think it's really good. It is pretty minimal, but I read one thing that I liked in an interview with her where she said that her songs might feel like they're incomplete or basic, but it's because she's done everything she had to do with them, and there's just nothing more to be said. She's gotten her message across, and it seems to be working. Anyway, she's only got a few songs out at the moment, and one EP titled chapter 1 (which i wanna be your girlfriend is on). So here's her latest single, i need to be alone.





But now we're going to move far from any stereotype and talk about Dua Saleh. This person is awesome. They (Dua Selah is the non-binary person and uses they/them pronouns, but it is only one person I am talking about) just put out their first EP called Nur. Which, from the first beat is awesome musically, and not at all shy about queerness. Just give a listen to the opening track, Sugar Mama.





That song is so insane. I love it. And the whole EP is like this. They have put out an amazing piece of music. And, to make things even better, they have a super interesting story. They were born in Sudan, fled as a refugee to Uganda, and eventually made it to the US where they settled in the Midwest and now make music out of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. So insane. A non-binary, queer person from the extremely conservative Sudan, now making this beautiful and explicit music in (what I think is) a relatively conservative part of the United States. I only wonder where they would be if they had stayed in Sudan. Or if they'd even be alive. It's kind of nuts. But anyway, I am glad they are in America and sharing this amazing music with us. The other track I'll share is Warm Pants, which is the first track I heard by them, and my favorite.




No comments:

Post a Comment