Sunday, March 3, 2019

Mar 4 - Amo Amo / Hayden Thorpe / Jordan Rakei

I finally went back to Asia last week. I guess I was in Japan in January, but that was just a layover, so I don't count it, even though I did go into Tokyo. But this time was like 3 days in Kuala Lumpur for a conference. Which means I spent most of my time in a hotel but at least got to eat Malaysian food, which is the best. And the last day was a team-building scavenger hunt, which my team won by a landslide, and which was much more fun than expected. But otherwise, not so exciting I guess. My big personal goal was to find a souvenir from Malaysia cause I've been there a million times and have nothing Malaysian in my home, but no luck. So then it was just to spend all the cash I had left over from all the trips I took there (over $500....) and again no luck. In part due to not being able to find a souvenir, I guess. But in the end I found a good exchange rate and got Australian dollars. Which are even better. So that was good.

What a fun update on my life....

Anyway, fun update on music now! All new music! Exciting new music! Lots of it!

First up is Amo Amo. This is a new LA band that is made up of members of other bands, although I don't think they can be called a supergroup since none of the other bands were famous or popular, as far as I can tell. With the exception of Jim James, from My Morning Jacket, who I am not sure if he produces their music or is in their band. Either way, they have a few singles out, my favorite of which is When I Look At You, and an album coming in the next couple of months, and are definitely worth a listen.





Up next in new music is Hayden Thorpe. This guy used to be the lead vocalist in Wild Beasts until they broke up (le sigh. big sad face. i miss them), but now he's put out his own debut solo single called Diviner. It is very slow tempo, minimalist track, but you can definitely hear some of that Wild Beasts coming through. No clue what's coming up in terms of an album, but this is a very pretty, promising start.





And last is new music from a not-new artist, Jordan Rakei. He has already put out two fantastic, soulful albums, and now he's back with Mind's Eye, the first track from a supposed upcoming album. But again, no info on that yet. But this is a sick track. Really fantastic. Song of the week, I'd say.


No comments:

Post a Comment