Thursday, March 21, 2019

Mar 22 - The National / JW Ridley / Broken Social Scene

So The National have released a new song. And I have to ask myself: How did I let this get past me without sharing it? I mean, not get past me, but not share it. I was on this. Really on this. Like a lot on this. Because it's so good. And they're one of my favorite bands. And one of the best live acts I've seen. Anyway so now they have a new song called You Had Your Soul With You, which is the first single off their upcoming album I Am Easy To Find, due out in May. And what a song it is. Such a wonderful song. And surprisingly upbeat for The National. They usually make such depressing music. Don't get me wrong, the lyrics are pretty sad, but the song is so happy and positive sounding. Anyway, fantastic first single from what I hope will be a fantastic album.





You have JW Ridley to thank for reminding me that I should have shared You Had Your Soul with You. I just found this guy today, when his new single Homesick (Out The Blue) came up on one of the blogs I read, and immediately made me think of The National. Then I got thinking about how I wasn't sure if I had shared the new song from The National. And realized I hadn't. So now I'm also going to share JW Ridley. The London-based singer-songwriter is fairly new, with only a few songs under his belt, but I'm liking the sound so far. Obviously reminding me of The National helps, but not all songs do that. But I'll keep an eye on this guy.





And I guess while we're on the topic of favorite bands releasing wonderful new songs, I may as well share the new single from Broken Social Scene, which came out yesterday, called Can't Find My Heart. This is the first single from Let's Try The After - Vol. 2, due out in April. And the first new song on the heels of (you guessed it) Let's Try The After - Vol. 1, which came out in February. No clue how many EPs will be in this series, but the songs on them have all been pretty classic BSS. The first EP, in true BSS style, was a mix of instrumentals and vocal tracks, which is something they do a lot, and which I have never minded, although on an EP it made me kind of feel like there weren't enough songs. So let's see how many volumes come out in this series and then whether or not they put them together into a single album and how I feel about that. But I feel good about the first EP (not great, just good), and I feel real good about Can't Find My Heart and some of the other tracks on the first EP.


No comments:

Post a Comment