Friday, June 9, 2017

June 9 - SZA / Bearcubs

I just spent a quick night in Beijing last night. I had a meeting in Langfang, south of Beijing, so went and stayed with Rich and the fam after that, which was quite nice. I haven't been up there since October. It's pretty crazy. But it was nice to see them and the baby, who actually liked me this time. And the meeting went well, and I actually worked on the train both ways and got quite a lot done, and I started watching House of Cards. Very successful.

And then it was Friday and I was on my way home and I got an email that SZA's album CTRL, which I have been waiting about 2 years for, has finally arrived. So I downloaded it and I've now listened like 3 times. It's not as good as Z, but it is very good. Drew Barrymore is still one of my favorites. But then there's this song Anything. Which I hate. It is the worst. I hate it so much. I just keep listening to it. And then it ends so frustratingly that I just hate it and I go listen to it again for 2 and a half minutes of aural ecstasy. Then get so disappointed. Ugh, it's the worst. It should just be starting at the end. I can totally hear it going for like 3 more minutes easy. And just getting better and better. And now you can experience it. I hate you. You're welcome.





That wasn't the only big thing today, though. There's also new albums from Big Thief and Phoenix and London Grammar, and that new one from the nameless supergroup which include Sufjan Stevens and Bryce Dessner. But we're not here to talk about them. We're here to talk about Bearcub, a 25 year old British producer who is giving James Blake a serious run for his money. Case in point, the title track of his newest EP, Underwaterall.





And it doesn't stop there. There's only 4 songs, but they're great. So great that this is the first time in a long time I'm giving one blog to a single artist (SZA doesn't count since I've talked about her so much, it's not an introduction of a new artist just a great song. My blog, my rules.). So here's False Mirrors, off the same EP.


No comments:

Post a Comment