Saturday, September 2, 2017

Sept 2 - Widowspeak / Gordi / Jade Bird

It's been a pretty lazy Saturday. I did go to the gym this morning, so that was good. And then I ended up Skyping my family for like 3 hours. The day started out beautifully so I was a bit bummed cause I wanted to be outside and everyone was busy, but once the skyping finished it had turned kind of gross. So it was all good. And anyway I'm probably going out for a bit soon. But I think it's going to be a very quiet and early evening for me. Which is fine, cause I am a bit bummed after talking to the family. Just a lot of drama going on, and it sucks, but anyway things are fine and everyone is healthy, if a bit stressed.

But in happier news, here's some good new music from some great ladies, starting with Widowspeak. It's actually not a lady, it's a band with a lady at the front. I heard them years ago when their first album came out, and somehow missed everything after that. Or I just have no real recollection. But they just put out their 4th album, Expect The Best, and it's pretty great. In the vein of the rocky ladies I love like Sharon Van Etten. So here's When I Tried, a great track off the album.




And then there's Gordi, who put out her first album, Reservoir, recently also. And it's great indie pop. She had an EP a while ago, and then just one great single after the other. I don't know why I haven't written about her before. Because now I'm going way back to one of the first songs from the album, Can We Work It Out, which was actually on the EP but somehow didn't make the blog. And if you weren't already convinced, she's also on Jagjaguwar, which is generally a good sign.




And we'll add in one more song for good measure. This is Something American, the title track off Jade Bird's debut EP, also called Something American. Coincidentally, she is not American. She is British. But she makes country-esque folky music, and I just really like her voice. The music is nothing amazing, really, but it is very nice and sticks in my head. So here's one more.


No comments:

Post a Comment