Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Sept 5 - Iron & Wine / Loyle Carner

Today didn't start out as a very good day. I think it's sinking in that my friend Julia left. She was pretty much my closest friend here, and actually maybe the only person I consider a real friend here who I can actually depend on. Obviously I have other friends, but it's not the same. You know what I mean. Anyway, so yeah it sucks, and I woke up feeling like it sucked today. But it was a pretty good day at work and now I've got some yoga and dinner planned for the evening and I'm feeling much better. And it also helps that when I feel like my friends aren't around and available we all end up making plans, so it helps with that. I guess I'm not really around either, but I feel like I make myself available when I am. Anyway, we're done with that now.

I don't know how I haven't put Iron & Wine on the blog yet this year. He's finally got a new album, and it's great. Back to his roots. It's called Beats Epic, which is a bit of a misnomer, but I think I read something where he said he picked it cause it just sounded cool. Anyway, it is very good. And there is one song in particular which is amazing, and that song is Call It Dreaming.





Anyway so that's gorgeous. But that's not actually the reason I came here. I actually meant to talk about Loyle Carner. So now I can do that. He put out his first album recently, Yesterday's Gone. I thought I first heard about him because he was nominated for the Mercury Prize. But it turns out that he's done a lot of work with Tom Misch, and so I've heard him on Tom Misch stuff before. And now Tom Misch is on his album. There are a ton of great songs, one of my favorites being Damselfly (which features Tom Misch). From all the Mercury Prize nominees that I hadn't heard of, he's definitely the best one. This is a great album. And I think he's actually half Jewish, a la Drake. Which I obviously am a fan of.


No comments:

Post a Comment