Friday, July 26, 2019

Jul 26 - Friendly Fires / black midi

This week was a bit all over the place, emotionally. High highs and low lows. Pretty stressful week at work, but it was balanced out by 3 fantastic concerts. Monday was definitely the worst day at work, because all the trouble I've been having with one employee for the last year has come to a head. So I was feeling pretty shitty. But then I went to see Friendly Fires and danced my blues away. Literally. But I know it was bad because I normally don't drink at concerts, but I drank a pretty decent amount that night, and for maybe the second time ever in my life I actually wanted to get wasted. Like had the strong desire to do so. But I did not do so.

So our first song for the day is Run The Wild Flowers, the newest single from Friendly Fires. Just came out today (or maybe yesterday), and it's a good one.




Monday was the worst, but the rest of the week was also pretty stressful. Just trying to finalize a couple of pretty time-sensitive things which had big values of money riding on them and which could upset many people. But it's all sort of worked out so far. And today was a really good day. Probably in part due to the James Blake and Childish Gambino concerts I also went to. Both of which were fantastic. I knew James Blake would be, because I've seen him before and I love him and would be happy to just sit there and listen to him sing all night with a piano and no real show. So that was a given. Then I had very high expectations for Childish Gambino, and was not disappointed. In fact, my high expectations were exceeded. I love Donald Glover, but honestly not crazy about Childish Gambino. I like him well enough, but not crazy about him. But live is a whole other story. He just blew it out of the park. And the set and the lights and the show were incredible. Seriously the best light system I've ever seen at any show. I was mesmerized.

And then last night my friend Anna had a dinner party, and I finally got to meet all of her friends she's been telling me about for the last year, and they were awesome. I was exhausted and thought I'd stay for like 2 hours, but in the end it was really nice and I was there till like 10. And to think I almost flaked!

Also, it's been a year since I got here! This week was 1 year. Crazy. It's gone so fast.

Ok, but  now on to the real reason we're here, which is the Mercury Prize. The finalists were announced yesterday, and it's kind of a weird list, I think. There's some really good British albums that should be on there, if you ask me, that aren't. Like James Blake. But then there's stuff like Foals (they're always on there. Deservedly so). And stuff like black midi. I don't really know what to say about black midi. They are very strange. So let's start with ducter, which is maybe low level strange?





This one was not a grower. This one I liked right away. But this band is a grower. And they're still growing on me. They remind me of like a million things, but nothing I can lay my finger on. And the album, Schlagenheim, is.... weird. But good. Really good. I think? I'm not sure yet. But I'm going to keep listening. And that's why I think they should win the Mercury Prize this year. Anyway, here's another great song: western.



No comments:

Post a Comment