Monday, July 8, 2019

Jul 8 - Thom Yorke / The National

I'm back from the US and just going to drop in a couple of songs here that really kind of need no introduction. During my trip I did not have the time I usually have (at the office and in the car alone) to listen to my music, so I have some catching up to do. I do have a couple of wonderful new things to share with you, but I'm going to share a few wonderful, new things from not-new people who don't need much of an introduction.

And first up is Thom Yorke, who you probably know, but just in case he's in the singer from Radiohead. He put out a new album last week, Anima, which is fantastic. And the opening track, Traffic, is fantastic. The whole thing is gorgeous, but Traffic in particular is wonderful. And I've noticed that he does a great job with opening tracks. When I heard it, the exact same thing happened to me as when I listened to Amok, the album by his supergroup Atoms for Peace. I actually remember it vividly. I was in Kenya on a business trip and I was staying in a hotel that I don't normally stay in (and actually it was the only time I ever stayed there) and I when I got into the room and got onto wifi I put on the album that had just been released, the opening track Before Your Very Eyes came on, and I immediately went "oh shit." In fact, I'm talking about it so much, I'm just going to add the song to the blog post, which was not my intention.





So good, right? Well the same thing happened with Traffic when I heard that. Maybe not as quickly, the "oh shit" probably came in at 0:38 when that low, bassline thing starts. And this time I was in my car leaving the office. Not as fun. But just as good, musically.




And you know what? Since we're on incredible opening tracks by Thom Yorke, I'll throw in The Eraser as well. It's the opening track off of his first solo album, The Eraser, back in like 2006. And also gorgeous. Not an immediate "oh shit" moment like the other two songs. And actually, maybe no "oh shit" moment. But just in general, what a gorgeous song.





And then we're going to talk about The National. I've already put them on the blog recently, when they put out the first single from the new album, I Am Easy To Find. But especially when I was home I listened to the album a lot. I think it's definitely their best work since High Violet. I love how they've incorporated all kinds of new, female vocalists into it. I really just love everything about this album. Definitely a contender for 2019's top spot. And while I was home they released Australia tour dates. For March 2020. It's crazy that they released it so early, but what's even crazier is they're going to play 2 nights in the same venue Elton John is playing. And I think Elton John only gets one night. But I could be wrong about that. But anyway, it's insane. I know they're big for an indie band, but never thought they were Elton John big. I still don't think they are. But I bought tickets for both nights, because I love them so much and they're one of the best concerts I've ever been to. So I'm going to share Oblivions with you, which may be my favorite track on the album.




Actually, it's not my favorite. I love it. But I think Where Is Her Head is my favorite. But ask me again tomorrow, it will probably change. So in the spirit of this blog post which ended up much longer and with much more music than I intended, I'll also throw Where Is Her Head in for good measure.


No comments:

Post a Comment