Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mar 8 - Mitski / Hovvdy

It is raining pretty hard today. And having to bike back in it has made my hands very cold. It's kind of hard to type right now because they're not yet back to normal. But I need to write this and then go quickly, cause I'm meeting my pseudo-mentor for dinner. He's not a mentor, per se, but he's probably the closest I've got. And he's in town for a week so we're having dinner tonight. Luckily I pre-wrote the music bit of this yesterday when I was home all day.

Today's first song is the new track from a not so new artist (or so it seems based on her Spotify account, but she's totally new to me), Mitski. She's getting ready to put out a new album, Puberty 2, and I heard the first single from it yesterday. It's called Your Best American Girl, and immediately liked it a lot. Somewhat ironically (but maybe also the point), the song actually reminds me of a lot of female rock-pop music coming out of Japan, which would make sense considering she was born in Japan but then moved all over the place with her family and finally settled in New York for college, I'm guessing by her age about 7 or 8 years ago. Great introduction to a new (to me) artist, though, which I wanted to share anyway, then when I went on Soundcloud this morning there it was, sitting on the homepage, reposted by Jagjaguwar, a label who I obviously pay attention to since they also have Bon Iver.





Jagjaguwar had not only shared Your Best American Girl, but also the next song, Problem, by Hovvdy. I went on their Spotify and found this song back on their 2014 EP, titled Ep, but that one was a stripped down demo. They seem to have fleshed out a full version of the song, which I like very much. So you can listen to this one today, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment