Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March 2 - Declan McKenna / The Gloomies

I had every intention of writing on Sunday and then Monday, and even Tuesday, but none of those happened.

Sunday I had some time in the afternoon after a skype with the parents and dinner with a friend, but it was such a nice day I ended up outside drinking all afternoon. Go figure. It really was a great weekend, though. It finally feels like Spring is coming to Shanghai. There are blue skies again, which to me is probably more important than the actual temperature. And the pollution has looked pretty ok. It's still up at like 120-160, which is not good, but at least it looks good? That counts for something, right? So no writing on Sunday.

Monday I could have written because I didn't go to work. Except the reason I didn't go to work made it pretty tough to write. That reason being food poisoning. Like the worst I ever remember having. I woke up pretty ok, stomach feeling a bit funny, but left and went and got on the shuttle for work. And at the next stop I got off and went home and immediately started vomiting. That went on for a while, so I went to the doctor because I had a flight on Tuesday morning and needed to be better. Luckily they shot me up with the drugs and gave me other meds to stop my body from exploding, and by evening I was back at like 80%. Still mentally out of it and in no place to write, though, so instead I slowly packed and watched the Grammys. The worst part of all of this is that I'm pretty sure it happened from one of my favorite restaurants, where I had dinner Sunday night to catch up with my friend Zabrina who I haven't seen in far too long, and that restaurant is now dead to me. Zabrina was fine, though, lucky for her.

Tuesday writing would have happened at the airport before my flight, but instead I caught up on work emails I missed on Monday. Because I did absolutely no work, which I didn't expect, but that was the case. And my boss was there with me, so we also chatted. And then planes and then I forgot to write when I got to Dubai last night. Oh yeah, I'm in Dubai. For a conference. Nothing exciting. Maybe some shopping. And of course a lot of hummus. And I'll see a friend from Shanghai who's moved here recently. But mostly just conference. Oh, and sandals. I get to wear sandals. The best.

But finally we are here and writing. And I'm only going to share one song because I have a bunch of songs I want to share and so I'm gonna try to do a daily thing this week. And I'm just adding to the songs to share list with a playlist I'm really enjoying at the moment, so I really do need to be on top of my writing. This song is Brazil, the debut from (believe it or not) 17 year old Brit Declan McKenna. And it's a pretty damn good debut. And apparently like a protest song against Brazil before the Olympics or something. As you know I'm not big on lyrics. It'll probably take me a year to actually listen, but this is what I read. Excited to hear more from this kid.




Ok, I actually read the lyrics. It doesn't seem so much a protest song to me as a satiric take on selling your country, using Brazil as an example. Still, 17 years old. Impressive.

And while we're still here, screw it. I'll do two songs. There's too much on my list. And since Declan McKenna is alternative rocky, we'll do a bit more alternative rocky music. Or, as they describe themselves, surfpunk / heroine jazz.  That band is The Gloomies, and the song I'm sharing is also their debut single, LSD. Which the lead singer says is not about drugs, but rather about making a big move and change in your life. So I guess if I ever listen to the lyrics I'll identify (OK, googled again, read again, doesn't seem like it's about a move to me, more like making compromises for something you really care about, which maybe was the case regarding his move that he was writing about, so I guess there's that). For me, this is definitely the best song by The Gloomies so far, but I'll keep my eye on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment