Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Feb 10 - D'Angelo

I did manage to watch the Grammys last night, but not because it was on my fake IP TV. Unfortunately it hadn't made it there yet, but I managed to download it rather quickly and watch it anyway. And what was supposed to be a night on my own on the couch with a burger and the Grammys turned into a night with my friend Mathias on the couch with a burger and the Grammys. Even better.

I actually love having people over at my place, it's one of my favorite things. So of course I was happy to have Mathias join me. And he's just moved here and is only around for a few months, so it's always nice to get time with him. Mathias was my neighbor in Singapore, then he went back to Sweden to finish his MBA, and is now on an internship in Shanghai for 3 months.

But the point of all this is to mention how I normally only have people over for parties these days, except for my friend Candice who stayed with me for a few days. And when Candice was here, we were mostly out and about doing or eating things since it was her last few days before leaving China. Then when we were home, she spent a good amount of time on Skype with her boyfriend. So this is the first time in a long time that I've just had a friend come and chill on the couch and not really do much of anything. And it was great. It made me realize that living with a roommate might not be the worst thing ever. I'm totally used to living on my own now and always say that I'd be very picky about who I can live with if I get roommates again, and that is still true, but I can see the benefits of it. Of course there are also cons like not being able to walk around naked whenever I want or play my music however I want (or, God forbid, having to listen to their shitty music if they have shitty taste in music, but I guess I would never live with someone who had shitty taste in music or didn't allow me to control all music in any public spaces). So yes, there are still cons, but I now realize there are also pros.

Something else it's nice to have back after a long time is D'Angelo. Because he is a genius. I don't really know what else to say about him. 2000's Voodoo is maybe one of my favorite albums ever. And not just mine, I'm sure, many people's. Here, just listen to Spanish Joint, one of the best songs ever off of one of the best albums ever.



How could you not love it? And the whole album is that good! But after releasing that piece of gold, he disappeared for 14 years. And for 14 years there were rumors of him coming back with an album titled James River. And then, out of nowhere, he did come back last year. On a Friday in December he release his first single, Sugah Daddy, now under the name D'Angelo & The Vanguard, and also announced the March 2015 release of his album Black Messiah. And then on the following Monday he decided not to wait and released his album. And it was worth the wait. It may not be a Voodoo, but it's an amazing album. Take, for example, Betray My Heart, one of my favorites off the album (along with Really Love).


I'm quite confident this album will be quite high on my top 10 this year. Even though it came out last year I will still count it because it came out too late, but definitely would have made last year's. Now let's just hope we don't have to wait another 14 years for the next album.

No comments:

Post a Comment