Monday, June 1, 2015

Jun 1 - Made in Heights

Today has confirmed what I suspected - there is absolutely no reason for me to have come to Harbin. That's not completely true, because I did have to come to plan this event, but I probably could have done it remotely. I definitely did not need to be here over the weekend, so it's good I got out of that, but I did think I needed to be here to go visit customers. Well, today we visited customers. Or should I say a customer. One. That's all.

So pretty much, it was quite a chill day. After visiting our one customer we took a nice, long walk along the 100-year-old pedestrian street, lined with Russian buildings (there's a lot of Russian influence here), and then along the river back to our hotel. It was actually really nice, and I did the walk in reverse to go to dinner. The reverse walk was even better because it was sunset, which was pretty gorgeous tonight, and because I was on my own just listening to music and enjoying a stroll. All of this with one goal in mind: to eat at Nanbo's. No, you did not read that wrong. I was not going to Nando's, I was going to Nanbo's. Because there's a rip-off of Nando's here in Harbin. And you know what? It was pretty damn good! The menu is pretty limited, but the chicken was actually really nicely roasted. I think the sauce was peri-peri, but they don't put too much on and they don't have bottles of it sitting around for you to take and help yourself (something I always take a lot of advantage of because Nando's sauce is delicious). They also don't let you pick your hotness (or maybe they just didn't let me pick), and they don't have my strips and rice. So there are a few downsides, but if this is what counterfeiting is like, I could get behind it! Though I would definitely prefer the real thing.

And what was I listening to as I had my lovely walk to Nanbo's (and back), you might ask? Made in Heights. I wrote about them earlier this year when I found out about them. They put out a single called Murakami, which is a great song, and so I went and listened to their eponymous 2013 album, which is really great. And this week they've put out their sophomore album, Without My Enemy What Would I Do, and I'm a big fan. Murakami is on it, but that's not what I'm here to share today. Today I'm sharing Ghosts, which is a very good song, but not my favorite (that is currently going to Murakami, Pirouette, and Pop It in 2). But I'm sharing Ghosts because I realized that they sound like super 90s R&B, a la Janet Jackson. And Ghosts is a great example of that sound (and the Janet Jackson likeness). Plus it's very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment