Saturday, September 12, 2015

Sept 12 - Vök

I'm feeling much better today. I got home late and pissed off, had a whiskey, watched some Broad City, and passed out. And today's been pretty relaxed. Aside from waking up and being pissed with one of my employees, an extension of last night, but that's all over now. Otherwise, it's mostly just been cleaning up around the house and getting ready for my housewarming tonight, and a quick trip out to run a few errands. It's nothing exciting, but all little things I've been meaning to do for a while that I haven't gotten around to, like getting my coffee beans ground and replacing a watch bracelet. Plus I had tacos, which is always good. So I'm feeling pretty chilled out and pretty ok at the moment.

I also bought a lot of music. Well, I downloaded some music which I had pre-ordered and which was finally released yesterday. 3 exciting albums, in fact. The debut from Empress Of, which is great and you can listen to on my blog (well, one single at least, but go listen to the entire album cause it's great), and then the new albums from Beirut and Gary Clark Jr. All very strong albums. And then I went and bought the debut album from The Arcs, which you can expect some music from on here in the near future. And lastly, today's band, Vök. They're an Icelandic duo (well, started out as a duo, then they added one more guy, and a fourth who performs live with them). They've been around for a couple years and won Iceland's national battle of the bands (which apparently is a big deal. Maybe I should try to make any future trip to Iceland coincide with this amazing event). They've got two EPs out, both released this year (in the US anyway), and both great. I first heard Before, off of their older EP Tension. Great song, it's on a bit of repeat right now. This whole EP is actually.





They refer to themselves as dreamy electronic or something like that, which is quite fitting. Very reminiscent of The Knife, but with less... quirky... vocals. I was trying to figure out how to describe them versus The Knife, because The Knife definitely has some quirk (I guess you could say) and takes some getting used to. This is much easier to take in, I'd say. But still great. And what I also love is that they don't just sing in English, like so many Icelandic (and non-Icelandic but non-native English speaking) bands, but they also sing in Icelandic! So today you get two songs, the other being Við Vökum, the opening track off of Tension, which is super sexy.





Their other EP, Circles, is also very good. But I guess I just like Tension more, so I put two songs from Tension. But go listen to Circles too, it's great. This band is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment