Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Sept 16 - Thundercat

I'm up in Tianjin today. Left Shanghai early this morning. I thought I'd sleep on the train, but sadly that only happened for a short while. And I haven't slept very well the last two nights for some reason, so I'm pretty exhausted but have to go out to dinner with colleagues. Hopefully it will be an early dinner, since I didn't eat lunch, and so that it will end early. While I wasn't sleeping on the train, though, I did manage to watch Donnie Darko. I was hoping to come out of it loving it and joining the cult, but I didn't. I did like it, I think it was really interesting, and I can understand the cult status, but I won't be joining that cult any time soon.

Today's song is one that I've thought about posting on many occasions, and I'm finally doing it. The song is Them Changes, by Thundercat with help from Flying Lotus and Kamasi Washington. I don't know much about Thundercat, but Wikipedia tells me he's a bass-player and producer, and as you can hear from today's song, there's a lot of R&B/Soul in his style. I actually have no idea who's singing or doing what on this album, because after reading his Wikipedia it seems to me like Thundercat is a producer, I know that Flying Lotus is a producer, and Kamasi Washington is a saxophonist and jazz composer. But maybe Thundercat sings too? I don't know. But I do like this song a lot. Every time it comes on it catches my attention. But then I've never gone and listened to The Beyond / Where Giants Roam, Thundercat's album that this is off of. Maybe I should. In fact, as it turns out, there's only 6 songs, so it's really an EP. So I will go listen to it. But for now, enjoy the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment