Friday, September 18, 2015

Sept 19 - Yasmine Hamdan

I missed a post yesterday. I intended to write it, but I had a busy day at the office then went straight to my train back to Shanghai. I arrived at like 10:30 last night, and thought I'd be home around 11:00, but the taxi lines were ridiculous. I didn't even make it home until 11:55, so I was tired a bit cranky and decided to just not write a blog. Instead I watched Inside Amy Schumer and various comedy clips on youtube until about 2am drinking wine. Good times. Now I'm sleepy. But luckily I have no plans for the day today. I had thought of going to Japanese language exchange, but yesterday was my mom's birthday (still today in America) so instead I Skyped my parents. And I'm busy getting my new iPod set up, which is necessary before my trip to Georgia next week. And I'll probably nap. But I have fun things planned this evening! You'll hear about those tomorrow.

On the train yesterday I watched Only Lovers Left Alive. It was pretty good. Very slow and kind of boring, but also very interesting and melancholy and beautiful, and great cinematography and musical direction. Part of it takes place in Tangiers (I think fake Tangiers, not actually Tangiers, but supposed to be Tangiers, anyway) and one of the main characters is a musician who makes post-rock. So his post-rock stuff is quite good, but the best song in the movie took place in "Tangiers" when he found this woman performing at a bar. I looked her up and it turns out she was Yasmine Hamdan. She's apparently (maybe...) a super famous Lebanese singer. I don't actually know if she's famous, but from the way she's written about she was very influential on underground Lebanese and electro-influenced Lebanese music. I was mesmerized by the song in the film, Hal, and I now need to listen to more music by her (and more North African or Middle Eastern music in general), and am now even more excited for the release of the SEXWITCH EP soon. It turns out Hal is not only in the film (the music video below is actually the scene from the film), but also off of her 2013 album Ya Nass, which is pretty damn good. She released it under her own name, but she's also got plenty of other groups she's involved with, so I'll be looking into this. But for now, I'm a bit obsessed with this song, Hal.


No comments:

Post a Comment