Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sept 9 - Nao

I've decided that instead of waiting until I'm drunk after tonight's event and then writing a drunk blog or forgetting to write a blog, I'll just write one now. I'm in the middle of my event, and luckily while speakers are giving speeches I don't have to pay too much attention. That's always how these things are. So it's a bit stressful, usually, especially during the lead-up, but once the event starts it's quite easy. Today's is at the Renaissance Hotel, and it's our first time doing an event with them. I'm particularly impressed by their coffee break set-up. We've done events at international 5-star hotels all over the country, and this is the only one that really incorporates the local style and culture into their tea break. They decorated the table with pieces of local costumes, put a couple little dolls on with people in local costume, had a bunch of local food (in addition to the regular cookies/cakes/fruit), and even had a woman in local costume going around handing out fresh juice. It's great. Makes me want to work with Renaissance more. And the service is pretty good, although not particularly better than all the other 5 star places. So, the event is going pretty well, and I've only gotta keep myself busy for 2 more hours then it's dinner and drinking and passing out. Hopefully less drinking and more passing out.

One problem with all this traveling is that I get behind on music. I'm a bit behind now, but I've been slowly making my way through all this new stuff from the last few weeks. I've also got a few sources for new music, and have heard some good new stuff in the last few days. So today we're going with one of those new artists, who seems to have some good stuff but I have not yet had time to look further into and find out more about and decide if I actually like and want to purchase music from or just stream. Normally in this situation I'd just pick something really old to play you, but I feel like I've been doing that a lot. So today it's going to be Nao. She's got two EPs out, this year's February 15 (which actually came out in May) and last year's So Good. I actually can't remember which song I heard that first caught my attention, but I do remember which song is my favorite. The best comparison I can think of is FKA Twigs, which is actually totally inaccurate for this song, but sometimes I think it's true. Maybe also a bit of Santogold in this song. She definitely has more energy than FKA Twigs, though. So here's my favorite track by her, Take Control Of You off of So Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment