Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Sept 1 - Savages

Today turned out to be pretty great. Work was, once again, not boring. Not super busy, but a good balance of things to do and no things to do. Perfect. And I managed to stay awake/wake up 30 minutes later on day 2 back in the country, so that was also good. Right now I'm on track to possibly make it to my normal schedule, which is like 11-6:15 for sleeping and it's now 10:45. I actually did consider not posting a blog, cause I just got home and am tired and want to sleep, but I should talk about the Rain Room.

The Rain Room opened in Shanghai today, and my friend is the one who sold it here, so she's here for the opening. So she took me along with her. I managed to get in with only like a 3 minute wait, unlike the 5 hour waits back when it was in New York, so that was awesome. And the room itself was also pretty cool. It sounds kind of dumb, honestly. I mean, it's just a room with motion sensors where it constantly rains but then the motion sensors detect you and stop the rain before you get wet. So you're basically walking through a rainstorm and staying dry. You can get wet if you want, you just have to run through it instead of walking slowly, but that kind of defeats the purpose. It's fun to be there and not get wet. And it's cool cause there's this super bright light at the back of the room, which sort of distorts your vision and depth perception as you walk towards it, so you actually can't really tell where you are and where the rain is at first. You walk towards the rain expecting to run into it, and you just keep going without ever touching it. Even when you stretch out to touch it you can't. And later, once I was used to it, I was paying attention to the sensors on the roof while trying to reach out to touch the rain, and it's amazing how sensitive they are because as soon as my fingers would get close to the rain it would stop. Actually being in it is definitely much cooler than I expected it to be. And I'm glad I got to go and try it out without waiting forever, because if I had to wait for hours, I probably wouldn't even go. It's here for the rest of the year, so maybe I'll go again at some point. We'll see.

And now a quick song. Today is Savages, a band of women who rock. The singer is French, but the band is American, and they released their debut album, Silence Yourself, back in 2013. It's a solid album, but what really impressed me about them was their live show when I saw them at Laneway last year. They're getting their new album ready for release next year, and I just learned about it today, so in honor of that here is No Face, off of Silence Yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment