Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Sept 23 - Petite Noir

And now the fast is officially over. Luckily it's only one day, and this year actually wasn't so hard. Last night was obviously easy cause I just stayed in my hotel all day, and today I just stayed in my hotel before going to shul, after which I went to the airport, came home, and went to dinner. So pretty easy. I got to sleep for like 9 hours, I got to take a nap on the plane, I didn't have to interact too much with work and get all stressed out - it was pretty alright. The hardest part was when I got back to Shanghai and saw all these convenience stores and restaurants and stuff and was like "Oh I should get a water to take on the subway" and then realized I couldn't. But it was all good, and I ate lots of tacos to finish it off. In fact I'm like way too full right now, uncomfortably so. But oh so happy about it.

Today's song comes to you from Petite Noir, the stage name of Cape Town artist Yannick Ilunga. I think he was born in Belgium and spent time in London or something before moving to Cape Town, but spent a lot of his life in Africa. So he's making this awesome hybrid of modern African rock. His voice is a bit weird at first, and I wasn't actually sold on him when I first heard him earlier this year, but he just put out his debut album, La Vie Est Belle / Life Is Beautiful, and it definitely got me. In fact, my favorite song on it may just be Chess, one of the first songs I heard by him, one of the least African-influenced and probably most 80s-pop-influenced, and the closing track. I love the playfulness between what I imagine to be the two characters he's performing as and I love the way the song builds. But I actually already shared that song at the beginning of the year. Luckily you should listen to the full album and you will find that there are other stand-out tracks, like Freedom, Seventeen (Stay), MDR and Down, of which you get to hear Down. I think this is definitely a very interesting and unique album that deserves more than one listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment