Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sept 13 - Night Beds

I sure did drink a lot last night. It was a pretty good houseparty, but actually left me feeling kind of shitty in the end (and not just because of the booze). It's been a rough week, most of which I spent in a bad mood and it all kind of came to a breaking point on Friday when work also got really stressful and a couple things got fucked up. But I was happy to be back in Shanghai on Saturday and having my houseparty, and then like half of the people who were going to come flaked. So I had like 8 people at my housewarming. As fun as it was, it was still kind of shitty that I could only get 8 people to show up. A few friends are out of town, otherwise it would have been slightly bigger, but still not much. It kind of drove home the fact that I've been in Shanghai for over a year and am still not really settled here. I still haven't met many people, and unfortunately a good amount of the people that I have met are pretty flaky (which is kind of a standard trait found in many expats, unfortunately). All this work travel has really been taking its toll, and has really made it hard for me to build any sort of life. And I've known that for years now, but I think I'm starting to feel it even more now, especially as I get older and start to feel like I should be settling down, both with someone and in some place. I've thought about it before, but last night really drove it home for me. And the fact that it's now Rosh Hashana has also made me a bit reflective. I was at shul tonight and during services I thought back on the year and realized that it's actually been a pretty tough year for me. So here's to hoping that next year gets better.

But enough with the reflection. I listened to even more new music yesterday, and ended up buying more today. There were two standout artists, one whose album I bought (Beat Tape 2 by Tom Misch. I've had my eye on him since finding him back in January, and he's finally put out an album. You'll learn more in the coming days once I've listened more and identified which track I want to share) and one of which I need to listen to again to decide if I want to buy, that being Night Beds. Night Beds just put out his second album, Ivywild, which from what I read is a big departure from his first, which was pretty straightforward singer/songwriter type stuff. I haven't listened to it, but after having heard Ivywild and read about the first album, I don't think I want to listen to it. Ivywild was a good album, though, and the standout track to me was Sway(ve), which is today's song. There are other great tracks on there, but it's also kind of a weird album, so I need to give it another listen before I decide if I purchase it or not. But I definitely want to share him with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment