Monday, January 5, 2015

Jan 5 - Made in Heights


Since just before New Year the pollution in Shanghai has been pretty bad. Generally it's ok, especially compared to other cities in China. But every morning when I wake up I gauge the pollution by how clearly I can see the Shanghai Financial Center and Shanghai Tower, or whether I can see them at all. Today was a not at all day. And then I got outside and it smelled funny. If I'm being honest, I was a little concerned that I'm probably breathing in noxious chemicals. Fun.

For those of you who are interested, the towers I mentioned are the two taller ones on the right (the SFC is the one they call the bottle opener. That should help you figure out which is which). Actually, the tallest looking one on the left, the Orient Pearl TV Tower, is much shorter than the other two. Also, Shanghai does have a beautiful skyline. I can't see it all from my apartment, I'm too far for that, but I can see the two tall ones.


But enough about pollution. On the bright side, I have a bunch of new music to share, which should keep me busy over the next few days. Today and tomorrow I'll be sharing two songs by two different artists/groups that both sample the same Sufjan Stevens song (that song being Concerning the UFO sighting near Highland, Illinois , the opening track off of the wonderful Illinois album, back when Sufjan was wonderful). Today it's Made in Heights, with the amazingly titled Skylark Interbang?!. Actually this band first caught my attention with their new single, Murakami, due to my love of Haruki Murakami, but you can go find that one for yourself. And while you're at it, also find Viices. One song a day here, sorry guys. You have to do some work, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment