Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Aug 25 - Bonobo

Today started waaaay too early. I took literally the first flight out of Philadelphia at 5:10 this morning. Which means I went to bed at like 11:45 and woke up at like 3:00. Fun. But I did manage to sleep most of my flights. And when I wasn't sleeping, I finished reading American Gods. And I got a great view of Chicago. I've never been to Chicago, but I've flown through a couple times and love flying in. Always great views.

Now I'm in Texas and back to the real world. Boo. But on the bright side, I ate the local version of Chipotle (called Freebirds, not as good), I ate barbeque (hopefully more to come...) and I went and saw Straight Out Of Compton (good, but a bit all over the place cause I think they tried to pack too much in). And now bed for my one more day of work before I go back to China. But just a quick bit of music, first.

I can't believe I didn't have any Bonobo on the blog, yet, this year. Well, now that is remedied. Today I listened to a lot of Bonobo while on my flight. Mostly while sleeping, but I did make it through all 3 of his albums at least twice each. And I came to form a hypothesis about why the sophomore slump is a thing (it's not a thing with Bonobo, his sophomore album is great, but his third is even better). That theory is you're presenting yourself on the first album and people either like it or not. Then on the second you try some new things and it often doesn't work. And on the third, you settle into your music and really make something good. Bonobo definitely made something great with 2013's The North Borders, but as it turns out my hypothesis doesn't stand because a) his older albums were also great, and b) he does not have 3 albums, he has 5. I need to go listen to those first two. I'm tempted to put Cirrus up on here because it's absolutely incredible, but instead I'm going to put Flashlight, off of last year's Flashlight EP, because it's newer and also incredible. And a great one live. Cirrus is also great live, but only with the full band/orchestra. When he does his stripped down live shows it's not the same, but Flashlight always holds up.


No comments:

Post a Comment