Thursday, August 6, 2015

Aug 6 - Banks

I had a sort of "cheat day" today at work. I didn't go to the office, instead I did some site visits at hotels for a trade show next year. In like 15 months. But it's actually gotta be done now cause it's the largest trade show in China and we have budget considerations, and standards. So that makes it tough for me. But anyway, spent the morning looking at hotels, then came home at like 2:30 and managed to get my apartment in order! Like, totally in order. Well, not totally totally, but like 99%. And that's pretty good. Just gotta hang a few things. It'll get done Saturday morning. By Saturday, my apartment will be 100%, and I can't wait. And there's a typhoon coming, which means I can have a legitimate excuse to sit here and enjoy it.

The other high point today was finding out that there's such a thing as Pudong cuisine, which is different from Shanghai cuisine, even though Pudong is in Shanghai. Pudong is east Shanghai, the part that nobody ventures to unless you work there, have a trade show, or like 9 children and got sent here by your company from America or Europe but are not at all interested in actually feeling like you're in China. But back in the day it was a real place, and they developed their own cuisine, and today I tried it. And it was damn good. I'm taking leftovers for lunch tomorrow. It's kind of similar dishes to Shanghai food, but better flavors and not as sweet (which is the typical identifying point of Shanghai food). I was told it tends to be oilier cause they use a lot of soy sauce, but all the soy sauce is home made cause it was originally farmers making Pudong food, so they'd just use the sauce they made at home, which means it's not nearly as salty as what you and I think of when we think of soy sauce. The food was great. I need to take friends. And any visitors, cause it's actually an awesome and very local/insider Shanghai thing to do when you think about it. So good day all around. Then birthday drinks with friends (not my birthday. Duh). Good day.

To keep in the theme of remixes I actually like (which I started yesterday), today we're listening to Banks. This is not the first time I've blogged about her. This isn't even the first time I've blogged about her this year. She's pretty great (although somewhat disappointing live). And since I already blogged about her once, I feel very ok sharing a remix. And surprisingly it's one of my favorite tracks by her (sort of by her, I guess it's also by someone else). That track being the Snakehips remix of Warm Water. What I love about this remix (aside from the sound of it) is the fact that it maintained the original vocals and lyrics, instead of cutting them up and just using them as another element of sound, like so many remixes do. He's taken a very sparse (but very pretty) song and turned it into something amazing, and amazingly fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment