Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Aug 5 - Gallant

I wised up today and wrote my music part of the blog at work. Now I just have to fill in this little bit about my day. Which was, as usual, an uneventful work day, but then a very eventful dinner. There's a place called La Coyota in Shanghai, it's a Mexican shop with a little restaurant. Not even a restaurant, just a kitchen really where they make tacos and burritos and flautas and stuff, then they have a couple stools or you can take it to go. I've eaten it before at events, and it is the best Chinese food I've had in Asia. They used to have a small location, now they have 2, and now in my new apartment both of them are within like 5 minutes of me.  By bike, but on foot it'd still only be 10-15 to either. Which makes me a very happy boy, because they make legit Mexican food. So I'll be there at least once a week now, I'd say!

Today's song is actually a remix. Well, I think I'll put the original and the remix. I don't usually get that into remixes, though there are some exceptions, and this is one. It all started today when Gallant came onto a playlist on Spotify. Spotify apparently now has this weekly tailored playlist that they make me. They give me 30 songs a week, and actually most of them are from artists I haven't heard. I've listened for 2 weeks now, and it's very hit or miss. Generally the playlist is pretty good, but there are only a few artists I actually follow up with and listen to more of. Last week there was one, but this week there's like 4, one of whom is Gallant. I swear I've heard this guy before, or at least heard his name. As soon as I went to his Spotify page and saw the cover image for the single Weight in Gold (today's song, by the way) I recognized it. I guess he's been on other blogs or something. It's pretty minimalistic, but I like it.



So I heard Weight in Gold and got pretty into it. It also helped that the related artists on Spotify include JMR and Azekel, two other up and coming artists that I blogged about earlier this year, and Stephen A. Clark, someone else who came onto my radar recently. During my viewing of his page, I saw there was also a Ta-ku remix of Weight in Gold. And it also caught my attention. A lot. I especially love that little cymbal hit that starts about 20 seconds in.




He's had a few more singles this year, as well as an EP last year, Zebra, which are



No comments:

Post a Comment