Thursday, August 13, 2015

Aug 13 - Compny

Today is a weird and sad day in China news. First we had a huge explosion in Tianjin last night. Luckily everyone I know there was nowhere nearby. We have a factory there, which is on the complete opposite side of the city, so all our employees were safe. But it's absolutely crazy. Apparently a warehouse that was storing dangerous goods, possibly a military warehouse from what I've heard, exploded somehow. They say it's not terror, that it was an accident, but it's still crazy. I've seen videos and stuff, and it's totally nuts. Even more surprising is that they highway, which is littered with destroyed cars and from which you pass right by the warehouse and could still see smoke and fire this morning, is for some reason still open? Weird.

And then this afternoon, some nutter in Beijing took a katana sword, went to Tai Koo Li (formerly Sanlitun Village, which is basically the center of expat life in Beijing, and ten minutes from where I used to live, and where I often used to spend a lot of time when I lived there and even when I go back now), and stabbed a woman. In broad daylight. I heard it was some sort of lover's revenge thing, but that is some crazy shit. China always feels so safe, generally it is, but I guess just like everywhere else in the world we've got our crazies and our accidents. It's just a bit nuts that two massive things like that, which are making global headlines, happened in one day, in two places that I know pretty one.

But on to happier things. Today is my last day in the office. I'm not coming in tomorrow, and then on Saturday I head home. And we also have some music for you, which is fun and upbeat and necessary. Today is another new band who has a few songs out, one of which I love, and I'm therefore posting so that I don't forget about them. That band is Compny (I did not spell that wrong. They did. I guess on purpose? But anyway, it's Compny, not Company). I was able to find out that they are from Brighton and like anonymity and therefore was not able to find anything else out. Everyone seems to be talking about Begging Me to Come Back, their first single, which is a good one, but the song that I love is, coincidentally, called Lovers. How fitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment