Monday, March 16, 2015

Mar 16 - Bob Dylan

Once again I've been drinking. I just looked at the calendar and this is either the 13th or 14th day in a row that I've been drinking. Normally, this doesn't happen, it's just been super busy with work and drinking with colleagues and customers. And it's even involved a lot of baijiu.

Like tonight, for example. Well, let me first explain baijiu. It's easy. It's the Chinese version of sake (Japan) or soju (Korea). But it's terrible. It tastes gross, the flavor sticks with you for days, and it's super strong. I actually don't know how I'm as sober as I am at the moment, because being the only white guy a dinner tonight, I had to drink a lot of it. There were a couple times where "the deal was dependent on me" which is really code for "let's see the white guy drink." Anyway, so this has happened a lot recently. Thank God I have vacation on Friday.

But on the bright side, I got upgraded to a suite, which is very nice and has a beautiful lake view (which would be more beautiful without pollution, but then we are in China so let's be realistic here). And Hefei, where I am right now, is better than I expected. It's the capital of Anhui province, which does have Huangshan (or Yellow Mountain, the most beautiful mountain in China, in my opinion), but is also known for being super poor. But actually, the city seems quite new and developed. I'm here for another day for an event, today was just seeing customers, but I think I'm ok with this.

And in the meantime, I have shitty internet which barely lets me play the song I want to listen to. That song being A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall by Bob Dylan. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Bob Dylan fan or anything. Not that that's a bad thing at all, I'm just not and don't want to make you think that I am. But after drinking a shitload on Friday night, my friend Mathias and I did what we often do, which is go back to my apartment, continue drinking, and just play music for each other. And he put on this song. And it's a wonderful song. The night is a bit of a blur, but I do remember not allowing him to talk during this song. It's really good. But you probably already knew that.




Also, if you are seeing this song embedded here, it's because you did not read my blog on time. Because if you had read on time, you would not have seen it since shitty Chinese internet is often (read: now) not fast enough to support my VPN and stream a song. Cool. Also, it is surprisingly hard to find a real version of this song to share. There's a lot of covers out there, though. And in the end, the only place I could find it was Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment