Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mar 25 - Laura Marling

I started my safari today. Which means I'm in the middle of never with no real internet and only a shitty mobile connection. So today's blog will be minimalistic, and updated in the future with pictures and an actual embedded song.

But for now, you get the highlights. I drove 6 hours to get here, which was fine cause I love to drive. During that time I listened to a lot of Laura Marling (more on that later). Once I arrived, I checked in and ate lunch while watching elephants bathe in the river. Oh, and when I walked into camp there was this awesome statue of a Nyala by one of the buildings. At least I thought it was a statue until it walked away. Because the animals just come hang out wherever they want. After lunch it was power nap time before going on my first safari. Apparently I was the only one done with lunch, though, because when I woke up there was an elephant snacking right outside my window.

Then we went on safari, during which I got up close and personal with a lion, a rhino almost attacked our car, we saw a baby elephant, and there was a gorgeous sunset. To make all that even better, there are only three of us here, and they drive us around in a jeep, off roading and running over trees to go find animals. It is actually exactly like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland, except real, with no seatbelts, and surrounded by deadly animals so you really do not want to fall out.

So yeah, this is awesome.

And so is Laura Marling's new album, Short Movie. Granted, it's not as good as her last one, but that would be a feat to top. But still, she released it this week and it is solid. I actually listened like three times today, plus I listened to the rest of her discography. I've liked her for years, but the more she does the more I like her. She's come a long way since her first album. And I love that you can actually go back to that first album (Alas I Cannot Swim, which is a great one) and hear the basics of the sound she's developed now. It's great, and so is she. So here's Short Movie, the title (and best) track off the new album.


No comments:

Post a Comment