Saturday, October 17, 2015

Oct 17 - San Fermin

Well I didn't end up at the Spanish place last night. Instead we went to this Japanese place I love, but sadly last night the meal just wasn't up to par. I don't know what was off last night, but it's been really good every other time I went, but not this time. This time some stuff was great, but some was actually not good. Too bad. It was supposed to be a pretty chill dinner and an early night, and the former was true, but the latter not so much. I somehow ended up home at midnight.

I wanted it to be an early night cause I was up early this morning to go visit a farm. There's an online, organic grocery store called Kate & Kimi, and my friend Lizzy had heard about a farm visit, so she invited me to go along. I thought it would be something different and interesting, and it was different, but only kind of interesting. Also it was definitely a very family oriented activity, so it wasn't very social and there were lots of children screaming throughout the day, and some douchey parents. Generally I like kids, but today I did not. But it was nice to get out of the city and see the farm. I do wish it was also a bit more interactive. They let us pick some lettuce at the end, but that was about it. I really think it was just an excuse for families to get out of the city and take their kids somewhere outdoors. Which is not what we had in mind. But now I'm home, gonna eat a quick bite, and then headed to a house party. This one also can't be a late night, though, cause I have a contractor coming at like 8am tomorrow.

Since I didn't play you San Fermin yesterday, I will today. They put out their first album in 2013, and it was fine. I enjoyed it, not enough to buy it, though. Their big song at the time was Sonsick, a great track. And apparently they were touring with Lucius, and if they're good enough for Lucius they're good enough for me. Well, earlier this year they released their sophomore album, Jackrabbit. I knew it would be coming out, but it somehow flew under my radar. It flew so far under my radar, in fact, that they've even released a new post-album single. But as of last week, it is no longer under my radar. And this album was worth buying. The band's got both a male and a female vocalist, who don't sing together, not in the way Stars does or anything, but they obviously sing on the same songs, just at different times. I actually didn't even remember the male vocalist until I heard this album, and as it turns out he's got that great, deep, emotive voice like Matt Berninger from The National, or the guy from Murder By Death. But he's not on the song I'm going to play you today, which is the title track, Jackrabbit. It's just got the lady singer. But if you want to hear him, too, then go listen to Two Scenes. Probably my other favorite track on the album, but I like Jackrabbit more. And if you don't have Spotify, the whole album is on Soundcloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment