Thursday, October 22, 2015

Oct 22 - Bayonne

Yesterday was my miss for the month. I had a band all lined up and everything (not the band I'm actually going to write about today, I found something more exciting and yesterday's band is now postponed until tomorrow), then I went out to dinner for many hours and came home and passed out. I've been to this restaurant Dahliah's 3 times since last Monday, and I'm actually going again tonight. I've been before, it's a cute little Austrian place. Actually, cute isn't the right word. It's pretty freaking cool. It's got swings in place of some of the chairs, and a big twisty slide that you can ride down from the 2nd floor bathrooms. It's pretty fun. And the food is nice, too. I've never been too blown away by it, but last week I went with my friend Julia (who's Austrian and loves it), only to learn that Dahliah's friend Dani is visiting from Israel. He's pretty awesome, and he makes amazing hummus and cocktails, and promised me amazing falafel. So I keep going back, only to find out he didn't make the falafel when he told me he would. But I'm trying again tonight in the hopes of great falafel. Also it's a great place and I spent last night not only with Julia, but also chatting with Daniel, the boyfriend of Dahliah, and Dahliah a bit as well. They're already good friends with Julia and my friend Graeme who joined us last night, and it's always nice to sit and chat with the owners of restaurants. It makes it feel even more homey, and makes me want to spend more time there. I think that's part of what I love so much about the grilled cheese shop, is it's always nice to go in and see Greg and say hi, have a quick chat, and eat delicious food. Definitely makes it better. So this may be the start of me going to Dahliah's a lot more. Which I'm more than happy to do if the falafel is as good as I hope (though Dani's only visiting, so he won't be cooking there much longer), and also because I learned last night when I didn't have falafel that they have a pretty damn good burger. And I love a burger.

Also, today is essentially my Friday night. Not going to the office tomorrow. And it's been a really good and productive week, which ended in praise from the CEO during a video conference. I'll still work from home tomorrow, but it's nice not to have to go in.

Alright guys, I finally figured out the Roger Sellers mystery. Remember how I posted about him about a month ago, and about how great his album, Primitives, is, and about how after I listened to it it totally disappeared from Spotify and existence? And then how I scoured the internet for news about Roger Sellers and this amazing album I heard once and then had taken from me? Well, NPR has come to the rescue and updated me with the information that Roger Sellers is now known as Bayonne. And that Bayonne is on Mom + Pop Records. And that Bayonne will (re-)release Primitives, in an expanded edition, in early 2016. He says that he made the name change to make a clear separation between his more electronic work, specifically Primitives, from the more folky stuff he'd already released (which is on bandcamp and which I would not describe as folky and which is fine but not as good as Primitives though there are some great songs). And I'm guessing the mysterious disappearance of the album had to do with being signed to a new label and some contractual agreement, though I would be much happier if he'd just kept Primitives out there for me and everyone else who didn't get to it last year, and just released an album of completely new material in early 2016. But he's not. At least now I know I can rest easy, and sit in anticipation of early 2016 when Primitives will finally be released (again) and available to me. And in the meantime, here's Spectrolite. This is the first song I heard by Roger Sellers, the one that really grabbed me, but then I couldn't find to share with you last time. But now I've found it, thanks to Bayonne, and you can listen to it also. Seriously, this song is amazing from the first note. And it just gets better. I love it. A lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment