Sunday, October 25, 2015

Oct 25 - Geographer

Another great Sunday today. Luckily the weather hasn't turned yet, so spent a good part of it out and about walking. My friend Steph who's visiting came by with her brother this morning so we could figure out where to put all the ceramics I saw yesterday that I want to go buy. So now I'm gonna go buy a bunch of stuff. I can't wait. We also went back to Baoism, the restaurant I was at on Friday night that my friend opened. Great stuff.

One thing Steph wanted to do while here was look for antiques. This was all part of the shopping for her new apartment plan, which started last night with ceramics. We went to Dongtai Lu, which used to be this outdoor antique mall, but it was pretty much all torn down after Chinese New Year to make way for new development. It sucks cause it was a great market. But anyway, so we went walking down Dongtai Lu today hoping a couple shops might still be there (which there are), and you would not even recognize it. That street actually has sidewalks. And people. These are things I never saw there before. And some of the old buildings are super nice. It's still in the French Concession, so you have a lot of interesting European architecture and unique buildings that just got lost in the jumble of shops and stalls and people and things to look at. I just hope they're not going to tear down some of these old buildings, but rather just renovate them or incorporate them into something else. But knowing China, they'll be gone soon to make way for a big, fancy new mall. Which would suck.

This was followed by a walk to a terrible shoe market, a nap, a couple job applications, and dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in the city, a Yunnan place called Lotus Eatery. I love it, and I haven't been in forever, so it was wonderful. And at dinner I learned about this app where you can place an order for a chef, then the chef comes over and cooks for you. Amazing! I think I need to do this every Sunday and just have my food for lunch for the week made. Then I wouldn't have to eat our crappy canteen food anymore. That'd be fantastic.

Today's song is not a new one, it's a couple years old. I just got into Geographer this year when he released his new album, Ghost Modern. I actually shared I'm Ready, the lead single off that album, earlier this year, cause it's a great one. Well, after hearing that album, I went and listened to (then subsequently purchased) his last album, Myth. And I'm pretty in love with The Myth of Youth, my favorite track off the album. Maybe my favorite track by him (them?), actually. I can't just listen to it once. So now you can go and listen to it about five times in a row.


No comments:

Post a Comment