Sunday, November 8, 2015

Nov 9 - Banks & Santigold

The internet, and in particular my VPN, were not very agreeable this weekend. Also I was super busy so would have written shitty blogs anyway, but in the end I wasn't even able to get on a write a blog yesterday. Which is actually ok, because aside from being sure that it would be shitty, I was also unsure about what song to share. Writing today has given me a solution to that problem.

When I wrote on Saturday it was short and shitty because I was exhausted and had no time. After about 3 nights in a row of sleeping for about 4 hours, I woke up on Saturday morning at 6:30 to go and work all day with my friend Julia. She took part in a chili cook-off as a way to promote her company, the Zotter Chocolate Theater. I was promised coffee for being up so early, but there was no coffee. Then I was on my feet, literally did not sit down once, from about 8 until 5:30, slinging chocolate samples. I was dreading having to make chit chat with a bunch of strangers all day on 4 hours sleep, but actually it turned out to be really fun, sore legs and all. I would absolutely help her out again at an event in the future, just hopefully not one that required waking up at 6:30 in the morning.

So I actually got to leave early from the cook-off because my friend Lie, who was in town from Singapore, was going to be staying at my place that night and I needed to meet him and his wife at 6 to give him keys before he took his wife to the airport for her flight. I then spent about 2 hours doing nothing. I just sat on my couch with the TV on paying no attention to anything. And wrote a shitty blog and showered and took a power nap, but anyway nothing that required even minimal effort. Ideally I would have just stayed home and gone to bed at like 9pm, but instead I got out of the house, went to a great improv show, then went to bars, and then kept going to bars until 3 in the morning. I have no idea how I managed it. It was crazy. And all on no coffee that day! Luckily I did get to sleep a full night on Saturday night and had a very chill Sunday.

I had other friends in town from Singapore as well, so I went to brunch with them Sunday, followed by a long day just chilling over at my friend Cy and Veronika's place. Veronika's birthday was on Friday, so they invited some friends over Sunday to just spend the day and eat dinner the cooked. So I was there for about 8 hours. Great way to spend a cold and rainy Sunday, especially after such a crazy week. But yeah, no VPN when I got home, so no blog.

Not writing a blog yesterday allows me to share two songs today though, which is great because I didn't know which of two songs to share yesterday. So don't let the title of this blog fool you, there is not a collaboration between Banks and Santigold. Rather, both of them have released singles this week.

I don't think I need to say too much about either artist, cause I've written about both of them already this year. Santigold back in March when I was in South Africa. She put out her new single, Can't Get Enough of Myself, on Thursday, and has announced a new album, 99¢, coming out next February. The single is a bit weird at first, and sounds like quite a departure from her earlier sound towards a more throwback/pop sound, but the further into the song I get the more I like it.




And then there's Banks, who also put out a new single on Friday, Better. It's typical dark, brooding, sexy Banks music, and it's great. Hers did not come with the announcement of a new album, although she has said in interviews that her sophomore effort will be out early next year. I also learned, while trying to find out about a new album, that she is apparently from Orange County. I thought she was from Tarzana or something, but Wikipedia says otherwise. Maybe she was born in OC? But I'm pretty sure she was living in The Valley when she started releasing music. She must have, cause she shared her phone number on social media back then, and it was an 818 number, which is The Valley. Anyway, nobody but me cares. So yeah, new single, no official new album, no Soundcloud, but very sexy YouTube video.


No comments:

Post a Comment