Saturday, May 16, 2015

May 16 - Bjork

So last night's date that I went on went very well, and I ended up telling her I just want to be friends, and she had a surprisingly positive reaction to it. Obviously I was nervous to tell her this, but she took it really well and was happy that I actually said something, rather than just leaving her to wonder. And she even texted me again today to say thanks for the honesty. So hooray for me, and now I have one more dating lesson learned. And also thanks to Philana, my roommate, for pretty much forcing me to go on the date and be a big boy. That was good of her.

And then today was all uphill from there. The weather is great, and I bought myself some early birthday presents. I went to the fabric market and got myself a suit, a pair of pants, and 5 shirts. And I'll pick them up next Saturday, just after my actual birthday. So perfect timing. I just wish I had some of the shirts in time for my birthday next Friday to wear to dinner. Or even tonight, since I'm having a joint birthday party with my friend Cy tonight. And I want to show off. Although, we kind of already are showing off. We're going for Xinjiang food, which is like a mix of Chinese and Middle Eastern, coming from Xinjiang province in China's far west. It's delicious, and one thing they do for special occasions out there is roast an entire sheep. So that's what we've chosen to do for this special occasion. I've actually wanted to do this for a while, but never found a place when I was living in Beijing, and now my favorite Xinjiang place in Shanghai does it. So it's perfect!

To keep the theme of the last 2 days going (at least in my mind), I've chosen a Bjork song for you today. This is linked in a few ways. First, and most obviously, Bjork put out an album together with Dirty Projectors back in 2010, called Mount Wittenberg Orca. They were really into Orcas back in 2009-2010. So she's musically linked to them. But I also associate them for another reason. Sometimes when I listen to songs I get a really clear image in my head, and sometimes it just involves people dancing. That's not to say that I have any idea how people do or should dance, but I just feel like dancing is the appropriate visual representation for certain songs. And then I want my sister, who is a dancer and actually does know how people do and should dance, to choreograph to those songs. Dirty Projectors's Dance For You is one of those songs, and so is Bjork's Unison, by Bjork. In fact, this may have been the first song that I ever told my sister she should choreograph to. Not that she ever listens to me, but that's her own mistake. Also, this song is gorgeous, so there's that. So here's Unison, off of 2001's Vespertine.


No comments:

Post a Comment