Monday, December 14, 2015

Dec 14 - Top 10 Albums of 2015

I finally decided my top 10 albums of the year. It was actually much more difficult than I thought to narrow it down. I almost expanded it to 20, actually. For some reason I didn't remember this year as being too great, but when I went back to listen to my longlist, I realized I was wrong and it was pretty damn good. I actually surprised myself with a few picks as well (and a few that were not picked). So here we go from number 10.

Leon Bridges
Coming Home




Grimes
Art Angels




Joanna Newsom
Divers




Bomba Estéreo 
Amanecer




SEXWITCH
SEXWITCH




Raury
All We Need




Alabama Shakes
Sound & Color




Hiatus Kaiyote
Choose Your Weapon




Other Lives
Rituals




The Arcs
Yours, Dreamily,




So that's 2015, but I can't finish this blog post in good conscience without 1 album from 2014 (and a few other goodies). Last year I put out my top 10 list, and like 3 days later, an amazing album was released. An album I had been waiting over a decade for. And I was not alone in my waiting. So I would be remiss not to tell you that you have to go and listen to this album as well.

D'angelo & The Vanguard
Black Messiah



I'm sure it's going to be on a lot of year end lists. I could have just added it to my Top 10, but that would have required a reshuffle and the exclusion of another album. And it was hard enough not to exclude some albums already. So hard, in fact, that I'm giving you some honorable mentions, which nearly made the 10th spot, but in the end were beaten out by Leon Bridges. Also worth checking out, though, are:

Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Shamir - Ratchet

Of course there are others, but I'm not going to list everything. Anyway you can find the Top 10 on the Spotify playlist I'll be making (minus Joanna Newsom because she's not on Spotify). And you can find a bunch of other good songs on my blog playlist, where I've got my song of the day for every day this year (minus the ones I missed, obviously, but I did pretty damn good!).

And there are a few other honorable mentions that did not come in the form of albums, but in the form of EPs. I've never thought about doing a best of list for EPs, but this year came close, cause there was some great stuff out there. Mostly debut EPs, actually. But I'm not doing an EP list, so instead I'll just list a few here and you can make sure you also go and listen to them.

Anna B Savage - EP
Kacy Hill - Bloo
Tei Shi - Verde

And there we have it. My lists for the year. No more lists will be made, just the one, but I will keep doing my song of the day until the year ends, so hopefully you come and read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment