Thursday, December 31, 2015

Dec 31 - Cross Record

First day in Hong Kong was a complete success. After staying up drinking and watching youtube videos until 2:30, we had a late start. First stop was of course Dim Sum, at this really traditional place where they spoke no English and you had to fight to get things off of carts that came around. Many elbows were jostled. Many good things were consumed. I did miss out on one of my favorites (cheong fun), but I had maybe the best char siew bao of my life. Then we did a walking tour all over Central Hong Kong, and now it's time to get ready for New Year's Eve. We're going to this fancy dinner with all you can drink over on the Kowloon side, right on the waterfront, so we'll be able to have great views of the Hong Kong skyline and the fireworks at midnight. Should be a great time!

If yesterday was for looking back, today is for looking forward to next year. And there’s a lot to look forward to. There’s already a few old favorites with new music coming out, like Santigold, SZA, Daughter and Lucius. Then there’s newish artists that will hopefully put out debut albums instead of just EPs, like Miya Folick, Junius Meyvant, Anna B Savage, and Kacy Hill. And there’s the new kids, the ones with just a couple of songs but whose albums (or even debut EPs) I can’t wait for, like Anohni, Joon Moon, and Sofi Tukker. But I think chief amongst these is Cross Record. I already posted their one single, Steady Waves, the other day. And now I’ll post their other single, High Rise. Both off of their debut album Wabi-Sabi, which luckily we don’t have to wait too long for. It’s also good cause I’ve noticed this last week or two that I’ve been very into these dark and broody ladies this year, so maybe this will be a new direction of musical obsession for me. For the moment it is, anyway.




So that’s it, kiddos. A year in music. I missed a few days, but overall I’d say I did pretty damn good. Go listen to the Spotify playlist if you like. It doesn’t have everything, but I think it’s a pretty damn good one. I'll keep writing next year. Not every day, but I think more than I did this year. Hope you have a great New Year's Eve, and talk to you in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment