Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Dec 30 - Grimes

My last day at work is done, and I'm now sitting at the airport waiting to go to Hong Kong. I can not wait to be there. You'd think that would have made my last day at work even longer than the previou couple, but it felt like it actually went faster somehow. Which is great.

It's been years since I went to Hong Kong for fun. I've been a couple times for a quick overnight or a quick day trip, but just for work. This time I've got like 4 days to do no work. It should be great. Things to do on my list are: eat. That's it. What else would there be?

Another interesting tidbit. As I was waiting in line for customers, I was super happy. I've been stuck in Shanghai for like 3 months, almost non-stop. I can't even tell you the last time I spent even a single month in one place without moving. It's crazy. And I think that's been part of why I've been feeling down. Now that I'm actually leaving the country and moving and going somewhere, I feel like I'm doing something. Rather than just sitting around. And that makes me extremely happy. So I wonder if this low point I've been stuck in for a while is maybe also, in part, due to that. I hope so, cause with this trip my traveling is starting up in earnest again. I've got almost every week between now and mid-July 2016 planned out, so I'll have no time to feel bored. Which is great.

Being December 30th, I only have two days left on the blog for the year. Obviously I'll keep writing next year, but I get two more songs of the day to finish off the year. So I think one needs to be looking back, and one forward. I guess tomorrow should be looking forward, so today we look back at a song and artist I loved this year. One that hasn't been shared on the blog yet. Well, the artist has, the song hasn't. The artist is Grimes. I'm choosing her because I think this was a big pop year for me. Indie pop, obviously, but there was a lot more dancy, upbeat, close-to-mainstream music in my life, and I started to realize that I actually do like what's considered pop. I just don't like what's actually popular. Because what's actually popular tends to be easy, overplayed and unimaginative. But there are a lot of really great artists out there making what is essentially pop music. And Grimes is one of those. And she blew me away with Art Angels. I thought she was so overrated in the past, but this album is fantastic. So here's a excellent pop song, Belly of the Beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment