Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Dec 23 - My Brightest Diamond

As I mentioned, yesterday was a very good day. For the last 6 weeks or so I had a bit of a cancer scare, so that was pretty freaky. And yesterday I found out I don't have cancer! So yay! Very yay!

Basically, I went in for a physical about 6 weeks ago, and they sent me for a follow-up CT scan, at which point they found something in my lung that should not have been there. It was just this small little circle that they called "ground grass". The doctor who told me about it seemed pretty nervous, and so that also did not put me at ease. He then sent me on to see a pulmonologist. With the pulmonologist, he explained that it could be nothing. Sometimes they see things like this due to just some sort of infection or pneumonia, and that the chances of me having cancer at 31 and a non-smoker were extremely low. That also did not put me at ease, though. He said normally they'd just give me antibiotics and check back a few weeks later, but because of the size (it was 1.8cm), he didn't suggest waiting, but moving on directly to the next steps (under 0.5cm they would have just done antibiotics). So the next steps were to get a blood test to check for cancer cells, and then to get a PET-CT scan. This took about 3 weeks to arrange because my insurance were dicks and didn't want to approve it. Probably cause it's really expensive, but finally they did. Of course in the meantime I had blood test results that I knew existed for 3 weeks but which weren't given to me, so that also had me convinced that it was bad news and the doctor didn't want to give me bad blood results until he had the PET-CT to back it up. With the PET-CT, they scan your entire body to look for high concentrations of glucose, because apparently cancer cells, which grow quickly, need lots of energy and get it from glucose. So we finally got those results last week and set up the appointment yesterday, and the doctor told me I don't have cancer. So finally, my  mind was at ease. It was a pretty stressful month or so. Obviously. I am very glad that it is over and I don't have to worry about it. He is gonna have me go back for another CT scan in 3 months to see if the "ground grass" is still there or not, as a precaution, but at least we know it's not cancer!

So I can be happy and move forward with much less stress. And much happier, because after that it's hard to get me down. And I need an appropriate song, of course. I wanted to pick Feeling Good by Nina Simone, cause it's one of my favorite songs ever, and it's pretty fitting. I've already played it this year, but I thought to myself "who cares? I don't have cancer, I'mma do what I want!" But then I realized I could just play you the amazing version by My Brightest Diamond, who is one of my favorite artists. This was also the first thing I ever heard by her. So I made it work out. Yay for good music, and yay for no cancer!


No comments:

Post a Comment